Hi! Semaphore here with the first installment of #TaxTipTuesday.
This week, we’re going over some very important tax dates to note if you’re a small business owner or an individual with complicated taxes. The dates are sporadic, so get your iPhone out and get them in your calendar!
(Compiled from information available from the IRS)
February 15, 2015
• End of 2015 open enrollment at the Health Insurance Marketplace.
• This applies to uninsured taxpayers who want to avoid possible penalties on their 2015 tax returns, which are filed in 2016.
March 16, 2015
• Deadline for filing a 2014 corporation or S-corporation return or extension.
April 15, 2015
• Deadline for filing a 2014 personal, partnership, or estates/trusts tax returns or extension.
• The return or extension must be postmarked or transmitted for e-filing by Wednesday, April 15, 2015.
• To avoid late payment penalties and interest, any additional taxes you owe must be paid by this date even if you filed an extension.
• Due date for first installment of 2015 estimated tax payments.
April 20, 2015
• Deadline for resubmitting or paper-filing a rejected federal return that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline if you did not file an extension.
• Note: The last day to resubmit a rejected 2014 return is October 20; however the April 20 deadline applies to taxpayers who owe taxes and want to avoid the late-filing penalty.
• Deadline for resubmitting or paper-filing a rejected extension that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline.
June 15, 2015
• Deadline for filing a 2014 personal return for U.S. citizens or residents living and working abroad, including military duty.
• Due date for second installment of 2015 estimated tax payments.
September 15, 2015
• Final deadline to file your 2014 corporation, S-corporation, partnership, or estates/trusts tax return if you filed an extension.
• Due date for third installment of 2015 estimated tax payments.
October 15, 2015
• Final deadline to file your 2014 personal tax return if you filed an extension on or before April 15.
October 20, 2015
• Final deadline to resubmit a rejected 2014 return that was originally e-filed on or before October 15.
• If you’re expecting a refund and miss the October 20 e-file cutoff date, you have until April 16, 2018 (October 15, 2018 if you filed an extension) to file a paper return and claim your 2014 refund.
This post is to be used for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, business, or tax advice. Each person should consult his or her own attorney, business advisor or tax advisor with respect to matters referenced in this post. Semaphore assumes no liability for actions taken in reliance upon the information contained herein.